Do Not Resuscitate

Here's how, on the air yesterday, I dissected the audio of the 911 call from a California nursing home whose employees wouldn't perform CPR on Lorraine Bayless, a resident who was dying. While the staff's indifference was startling (considering that Good Samaritan laws and EMS policy would have protected them from legal action), let's heap praise on Tracey Halvorson, the Bakersfield fire dispatcher who did everything she could on the phone to convince the facility's staff to save the woman.

I'm thankful that my 88-year-old mother is still strong enough to live at home by herself, but if she were in a facility like this and I heard this story, I'd yank her out of there before sunset -- and I hope every family that has a relative in a place like Glenwood Gardens will do exactly that.

Listen, then click here to subscribe to these podcasts via iTunes!

Labels: