Best Thing I've Read Today

Andrew Sullivan stopped blogging a few months ago and shut down his site, The Dish, but he returned online with an essay reacting to today's historic decision by the Supreme Court making same-sex marriage legal throughout the United States Of America. The entire piece is worth your time, but especially this paragraph:
I think of the gay kids in the future who, when they figure out they are different, will never know the deep wound my generation – and every one before mine – lived through: the pain of knowing they could never be fully part of their own family. I think, more acutely, of the decades and centuries of human shame and darkness and waste and terror that defined gay people’s lives for so long. I think of all those who supported this movement who never lived to see this day., who died in the ashes from which this phoenix of a movement emerged. This momentous achievement is their victory too – for marriage, as Kennedy argued, endures past death.